On April 14th, 2019, Derek Axford shares his healing testimony from severe back pain.
“My testimony of God’s amazing healing grace in my life takes us back to the summer of 1996. It was a sunny warm July day – July the 2nd. I was farming at the time with my brother and we were under a lot of stress because the weather had held us back from spraying earlier when the weeds were smaller and easier to control. I was loading the sprayer to get ready to continue spraying weeds in the soybean crop. However, as I was pouring a 5-gallon pail of chemical into the loading tank of the sprayer, I felt a muscle pull in my back. It was very painful, but I thought, “I can’t quit now. We are already behind in what we need to get done.” So I continued to load the sprayer, but only for a very short time, because the muscles in my back quickly tightened to the point that I didn’t know if I was going to be able to make it back to the house. I carefully and painfully walked back to the house, took off my shoes, and laid down on my bed. The pain was so intense and so I just lay still, hoping that the muscle cramps would lessen so I could go back to spraying. The spasms in my back got worse and it became obvious to Kendra and me that I wouldn’t be able to continue working that day. I had had back trouble previously, and so I knew that this could take many days until I would be able to drive tractor again, let alone lift anything heavy. I had the thought to call Harvey Katz and ask him to pray for me over the phone to see if the Lord would heal me. He immediately offered to come out to the farm, which was about 45 minutes from his office. When he arrived, he came into my room and cracked a couple of his usual puns. He then read from Acts chapter 3 and started at verse 1:
- Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.
- And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple;
- Who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms.
- And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.”
- So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them.
- Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.”
- And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
- So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them – walking, leaping, and praising God.
- And all the people saw him walking and praising God.
- Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.
At this point, Harvey looked up at me with a grin on his face and said, “Guess what I would like to do?” He asked me, “Are you okay if we follow this example of Peter and I take you by the hand, command healing into your back, and then you stand up?” Wanting to try it, I nervously said, “Yes.” So Harvey reached out, took me by the hand, and said, “Derek, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I command healing to come into your back. Rise up and walk!” I got out of bed…in much pain…I stood up for a few seconds…and as the pain in my back gripped me, and I had to lay back down again! Wow that was painful! But I felt a bit energized for having taken that somewhat crazy step of faith! Harvey left to go back to work at about 1:30 in the afternoon and soon after I fell asleep. When I woke up, I cranked my head around to the head of my bed where our clock sat to check the time. This was a habit of mine to see how long I had been sleeping. It was 3 o’clock. I then realized, “Hey, that didn’t hurt at all to crank my head around and check the time!” I think I may be healed! I got out of bed, and sure enough the Lord had healed me! I had a very slight tinge of muscle tightness still in my back but it was almost completely gone. I couldn’t believe it! The next day I was back working on the farm, lifting heavy things again without any pain or soreness whatsoever. God had done an amazing miracle in my life and He knew that I needed to get the spraying done so that our crop didn’t get choked out by the weeds. I’m so thankful that the Lord showed me His kindness that day back in 1996. He is incredibly faithful, and He cares about every detail of our lives. There have been other times that He didn’t come through so quickly in my life as He did that day, but I know that through all of these times, He remains faithful and is working everything out for my good. Glory to God!!”